Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What's your {Un}Word?

I’ve never been big on New Year’s resolutions, but I read a blog post today about an {un}word. This is a word that ideally, you would want to remove from your vocabulary. What is weighing you down? What is keeping you from having a closer relationship to God? To your spouse? To your family? How about with yourself? 

Mine is 
{un}worry

I have a tendency to let little things weigh me down with worry. I know these things will not matter the next day, week, month, or year but nonetheless, I worry about them. This causes stress within my mind and body (hmmm, wonder where that terrible sickness I had came from?) and spreads to the people around me. 

God’s word says “Do not be anxious about anything, but in any situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7. I wonder why I have so much trouble with this? 

The only remedy, as the verse above says, is prayer and investing time in learning what God has to say to you. God’s word has an answer for any question or problem, whether it is direct or indirect. Everything we need is in there. We essentially have an instruction manual for how to live life, so where is the need for worry? That is what I am trying to tell myself. 

I am going to try to achieve this goal through more prayer, both in quality and quantity. I will make it a habit to pray about the most simple things, like what my weekend plans should be. You can learn more about this beautiful process in Walking With God. Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really. by John Eldredge. 


{Un}worrying will be a process. But it is one that I am willing to take head on. Today I will get done what I need to get done. Today I will be nice to myself. Today I will be the wife I need to be for my family. Today I will learn as much as possible for what I have coming soon. Today I will react appropriately to challenges and take care of business. Let’s do it friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment