Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

10 things (I think) should be done the old fashioned way


1. Homecooked meals vs. microwave fare or eating out. Some of my favorite times at home with my husband were shared after a meal I or we had prepared. Home cooking just tastes so much better and is so much better for you. There’s nothing like a great meal to bring people together. Why do you think my blog is called Love Around my Table for Lord’s sake?!

2. Expressing your love. Most of my husband’s and my dating life was long distance, which gave plenty of opportunity for words to be shared because we didn’t get the opportunity to say them in person. And while it was nice to get them in an email, there was nothing else like getting a piece of paper that my husband had written his words down on and sent to me.

3. Pie crust. I can’t reiterate this enough. Never. Buy. Pre-made. Pie. Crust.

4. Courting the one you love. Courting is definitely an old fashioned word, but I think it’s just as relevant today. Courting is a term, typically attributed to the actions of a man in order to win a woman’s heart. But I don’t think it should be limited to just men, or to pre-marriage. I don’t think you should ever stop courting each other either. You should always be trying to win the heart of your spouse, even after you know you have it. It’s the effort that matters. 

5. Smiling at strangers. I don’t know if this is something old-fashioned necessarily but it seems to be lost. Maybe it’s just because I work with the general public who comes to me, wanting assistance, and sometimes they are disgruntled, but it seems like no one smiles at each other anymore. Or even says “good morning.” Wouldn’t the world be a little better if we just smiled at each other every once in a while?

6. Waiting in line. This is just a metaphor really. Seems like our generation has no patience for lines, waiting their turn, or anything less than getting something “right now.” 

6.5 Public service announcement: I think we should all quit pulling our phones our while we’re waiting in line or waiting for an appointment or waiting to meet someone. Carry a book in your purse, write scripture on index cards and carry those around, or just appreciate whatever’s around you. Ps... I’m totally guilty of this.

7. Baking your own bread. Yes, it’s a hassle and it takes a long time but it feels like such an accomplishment, plus (*bonus*) makes your house smell fabulous! 

8. We should speak more eloquently. Especially when it comes to ladies and swearing! I have tried to be better about this, but I feel like people take others more seriously when they speak clearly, make eye contact, use vocabulary from a level higher than a kindergartener, and avoid the words that would better accompany the saltiest sailor.

9. Taking care of ourselves. Ladies, that means good hygiene, and clean, put together appearance. You don’t have to spend hours on your hair and make up, and I am in no way a proponent of vanity, but I just feel better and more confident when I feel like I look put together.


10. Love fearlessly! I’m not saying to fall in love with everyone you meet, but when you find that one person, love them with everything you have and show it! It seems like today, people play coy, hard to get, or try to drop subtle hints that just don’t work. If you love, love with your whole heart.

Here's to the past! 
XOXO
Em

No comments:

Post a Comment